It's been ages since I posted anything new on this blog. I have been busy building my layout over the last couple of years and already have decoders in nearly all of my locomotives. Here is something new that I finished recently.
I actually started this project a few years ago. I got it working but was not satisfied with the way the sound cut out whenever good electric contact between the wheels and the rails was lost. After purchasing some TCS KA1 keep alive modules and some better quality metal wheel sets I wanted to try to finish it up.
The car I am using for this project is an Atlas 4 bay ACF covered hopper. The decoder is an older version of Soundtraxx. I built this speaker sound box from scraps of styrene to be placed over one of the high points between the bays of the hopper. This really helps amplify the sound.
This does not roll as freely as it would without the axle wipers but this car will be right behind the power so should be OK.
That a heat sink that needs to be put back after the wires are connected.
A demonstration of the sound is on this Youtube video.