Thursday, November 3, 2011
These are the modifications I made to the right frame half. I found that without the slot for the wires on the top of the frame, the shell was not resting square on the frame.
This photo shows a side by side comparison of the original rear board and the one I made from a shorter board from another Atlas engine. The SMD LED is wired to the board with magnet wire and hangs over the end of the board. It is now clear to leave enough room for the decoder and sticks out no more than the original board did.
Both circuit traces to the frame contacts are cut so that this is isolated from the frame. The yellow and blue wires will get soldered to the LED and resistor on this board. On this board rather than drill a hole I made the existing opening longer so all the decoder wires could go through the opening.
The Z2 decoder wires are cut to the following lengths:
Gray = 2"
Orange = 1-1/2"
Yellow & Blue = 7/8"
Red, Black, & White = 2-3/4"
On the front LED board a hole needs to be drilled at the location shown in this photo. The black and white wires are connected as shown.
The circuit trace gets cut the the same
location as is commonly done. The red wire goes through the hole and is soldered at the point shown in this photo. With this board being component side up this will place the red wire on the right side of the locomotive.
As I do with many installations I have filed a groove into the right side of the motor to contain the gray motor wire and secure it with a tiny amount of Walthers Goo.