It's been a couple of months since I've posted anything but I have been kept busy with installs. They've mostly been routine ones that I had already covered on this blog. But recently I was asked to replace the decoder in a Bachmann Spectrum 44 ton switcher with a TCS Z2 or similar small decoder.
This model uses the tested method of bumps on the frame / dimples on the inside of the shell to hold the shell in place. It's a tight fit and after trying a few methods to get the shell off, this was the one I found the easiest.
The trucks will come off fairly easy so I took them off first then placed a jewelers screwdriver between the fuel tank and the shell and gently pried.
The decoder has mostly surface mount components with a couple of coils on the bottom and what the instruction sheet called a thermal fuse link in series with the motor.
The way this component was installed in the motor wiring instead of on the board suggest to me that it may have been an after thought.